Thursday, September 1, 2011

Boys

     Last night I was bouncing some ideas off my bedroom ceiling for today's entry. But EVERYTHING went out the window due to my son's apparent speed overdose today. Time-out offenses included : wacking me on the head with a baseball glove, hurling one of the sofa legs at my throat and speed pitching wiffle balls at Daddy's nether region.
       This picture above is NOT my son. It is how every boy reacts to any boundary. They will do bodily harm to test them. Mothers of girls may look down their noses at the glaring difference. "My girls would never act that way", they may think as they watch my son lick the glass at the zoo's polar bear enclosure. (I promise you, nothing is made up here.) And the truth is, no, your girls wouldn't act that way. Don't get me wrong, girls can have outrageous behavior, but boys live every moment trying to imitate a kamikaze pilot. So is a leash the answer? Nooooooooooo! Run them. Run them like champion greyhounds.  What was the cure for this morning's declaration of war on my sanity? Outside, we would walk, I'd let go of his hand and said "Show me how fast Spiderman can run to that trashcan!" He'd tear off like he was on fire and the trashcan was a polar bear cage he could lick. We played this game for blocks. Now we are home, he is eating his orange slices, sweaty and jolly.
       If you are a mother of a boy, remember he will always test his boundries. The way to help yourself keep them safe, make sure the boundries are strong, but let go his hand and let him run till he passes out with orange bits on his smiling face.

1 comment:

  1. I have to be honest and say I'm really relieved to have a girl! lol

    ReplyDelete