Monday, September 5, 2011

Mother in-law

                Have you ever met anyone who, without hesitation, would give you their last drop of blood in their body? Have you ever met someone who you could tell, yep, this person could most likely kill me and no one would ever know? Have you ever met anyone who surprises you with heartfelt generosity, daily? I've never met anyone like Sue before and I'm so blessed I did.

              Picture this:You have just been through a very scary delivery of your first child.  You are trying for the first time to breastfeed. You think "I didn't think this would be kinda difficult". In comes you mother-in-law, but you can't see her small frame behind the Mt. Rushmore pile of gifts. She chucks the gifts at her son without ever making eye contact with her first born. She is honed in on the baby completely missing your exposed breast. She says so soft and so sweetly, "Thank you, thank you for this baby."  She is looking at you, and you know that this women was made to be a Mom-mom. But before you can share in this sweeping Hallmark moment, you now releize that she has her one hand on the baby's head and the other hand on... second base and she is smooshing them together. "There." she says. Boom, a breasting feeding child.
      
         Alot of you would never have this happen to you, or if it did you would be mortified or freaked, but not me. You see my mother-in-law loves in way that is all her own. She sees a moment of need, and she does whatever to help. I'm grateful for someone who can fix anything or do anything with  the know-how of a tribal sage. We had ants in the mud room, Eric sprayed like fifty times. Sue was babysitting, I came home from work and she said "Saw you had ants so I sprinkled bay leaves in the door way." Boom, an ant free house.

        Sue fun facts: She was in the army. She is one of eight. She could kick your ass. She makes amazing cheesecake. She takes everything she has two of  to a homeless couple. She will  bring my son a prize everytime she comes to my house. She is a retired nurse and if she worked at Children's hospital she would adopt 20 crack babies. She will kick your ass if you hurt her family. Eric and I were joking around about me taking the boy to Hollywood to be a star. (it irks him) He told me if I tried to runaway with the boy that Sue would plant herion on me and take custody of the boy and I would be in an orange jumpsuit for 10 to 20. I completely belive him. Don't cross Mom-mom and her babies.

         . If she is with her grandkids she is on the floor playing dinosaurs verses racecar crash rally to the point I think she might need traction. She slept on my couch during hurricane Irene so my son was cared for while Eric and I were stuck at work. She brought 3 lanterns, a dozen candles, lighters, matches and enough food that Anna Nicole, when she was fat, couldn't finish (ooooh, too soon?)   I love this woman and you know what, she loves me too. I am not a disappointment even though I may feel like it. She is made of iron with a sweet Cadbury egg center. I have as much strength as the yucky pudding skin that developes in fridge. She never makes me feel Eric could have done better. She is encouraging and honest. She breaks through every evil mother in-law sterotype. Thank you, Sue for everything. You are magic. Boom, an appreciative daughter in-law.
   

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I'm so happy that someone else sees what an amazing woman Mom is and that you let the rest of the world know too...I heart you both!

    ReplyDelete